Thursday 6 March 2014

Despicable Me 2 (2013)

  'Despicable Me 2' is a 2013 Animated film, produced by Universal. It's famous for those annoying yellow tic-tacs which appear everywhere (called minions).

  The story continues from the last one, where Gru (Steve Carell) is at his daughter's birthday and gets kidnapped by the Anti-Villian League. They want him to join. He says no, but eventually says yes. He goes undercover in a muffin-shop. Meanwhile, someone evil is kidnapping his minions and using the evil chemical substance PX-41 on them. Gru gradually falls in love with Lucy (Kristen Wiig).

  Everyone says it's funny and entertaining, and was also the second highest-grossing film of last year, so I had good enough reasons to see this film. The main problem is IT'S FOR KIDS. If I was a kid, and saw this film, I would have loved it, but am I a kid? NO. It's not even the type of film which is enjoyable if you're an adult, like Pixar or 90s Disney. I think of it like 'Shrek 2'. That film was The Bomb when I was a kid. So much better and funnier than the first one, but when I re-watched it 7 years later... Well it wasn't as good.

  So much have I heard about the 'fart gun' and the 'hehe bottom' puns, that when they appeared on screen, I didn't laugh at all. It did have more laughs than most comedies nowadays, especially the dire 'This is the End', so I can't disrespect it for that.

  The main question is 'is this another Hollywood cash-cow, or is it created with love and attention?'. The answer depends on you're opinion. Yes it's a sequel, yes it's the most advertised film in the history of the world, Yes the continuity is off the marks, but it does feel like it's created with affection. I should elaborate on the continuity. I found several times, that the continuity broke for specific gags. For example, the car whizzing around the fountain knocking down chairs, before cutting to the next shot where the benches are all fixed. Or what about the part where he falls down the escalator in a bin. In the next shot he falls out the bin at the bottom of the escalator and talks to Lucy. If by magic, the bin has disappeared. But hey, it's a kids film. Continuity is the least of our problems.

  I know I have just said about the negatives, but it really is a good kids film. I'm not a kid, so it's not rubbed off on me.



TO CONCLUDE
This is amazing... If you're a kid.

SCORE
22




No comments:

Post a Comment