Saturday 15 February 2014

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)

  'The Lady from Shanghai' is a 1947 Film Noir directed by, and starring, Orson Welles.
  An Irish sailor, Michael O'Hara (Welles), agrees to a cruise to Acapulco on Arthur Bannister's yacht, after meeting his wife, Else Bannister (Rita Hayworth), and saving her from a robbery. Bannister is a twisted defence attorney, which O'Hara is curious about. On the way he meets George Grisby and Elsa falls in love with O'Hara. Once in Acapulco, Grisby tells O'Hara about how he would pay money to O'Hara to help him fake his own death. Back in San Francisco, O'Hara helps Grisby, but inevitably, things don't go to plan.
  As Film Noir is one of my least favourite genres, I set my expectations to below zero. However, I was wrong to do so, as this is a fine supplement to the genre. Only a few films in the large Film Noir genre ('Mildred Pierce', 'Touch of Evil', 'Key Largo' and 'The Third Man') would I consider great movies, and this film could also be added to that list.
  Orson Welles is often considered the second greatest directer ever (no.1 being Hitchcock of course), but he wouldn't even appear in my top 20. 'Citizen Kane' and 'Touch of Evil' are two amazing films, but a director shouldn't be put in the record book for making two phenomenal films, especially after the boredom inducing 'Chimes at Midnight' and the bland 'Magnificent Ambersons'. I know he created a bunch of techniques that improved the artistic qualities of cinema with 'Citizen Kane', so I still think he is a decent director. After watching this film, I am definitely intrigued to watch more of his films.
  Not only is he a fine director, but he is also a great actor. Not many actors have such a demanding presence on screen, and I thought the Irish accent was pretty great as well. I'd take it any day to Daniel Day-Lewis's irritating Lincoln voice.
  All trademarks of a typical Film Noir are here, an innocent man being framed, money, guns, corruption and an infamous femme-fatale. Shot in black and white, I assumed this film was made in 1957, as the cinematography was 10 years a head of it's time. Everywhere from Acapulco to the Funhouse was framed with creativity to perfection.
  The plot has a couple of holes in, but it does make you think what Welles could have done with this film if the studio wasn't holding him back.



TO CONCLUDE
I wouldn't say a perfect Film Noir but a fine and enjoyable one.

SCORE
77

No comments:

Post a Comment